Sunday, August 06, 2006

A little about the Needledrop...

If you don't know me, you probably aren't reading this. But let's say you opened a browser, mashed the keyboard and this came up.

Here are my aesthetic guidelines:

1) If it has a cover of "Sunshine Superman" or "The Theme from Love Story," I will buy it.
2) If the cover looks interesting, I will buy it.
3) If it seems like a vanity record, I will buy it.
4) If it has one good song on it, I keep it.
5) If the cover is really, really good, I keep it whether the music is good or not.
6) If it's Ray Conniff and I think I don't already own it, I will buy it.*
7) Some of last new music I bought were two Meters reissues, a great Fall rip-off song by Tom Vek, a Built To Spill song (my first Built To Spill purchase), a grime song by No Lay, "I'll Be Around" by the Spinners and Syd Barret's The Madcap Laughs.
8) The last shows I went to see were Os Mutantes, The Eternals, and a split bill with Parts and Labor and Oneida.
9) I do most of my used record shopping in Madison thrift stores when I go to visit.
10) I don't have as much time for music any more.

* Note: This is not an act of winking irony. I really like Ray Conniff, especially Happiness Is, and his entire discography can be picked up super cheap.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jesse Thorn said...

I really love the Spinners.

11:51 AM  
Blogger VoteJoe said...

The interesting thing is that I never thought "I'll Be There" was a break-up song until I downloaded it. When you pay attention, it manages to be sad and uplifting at the same time.

6:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you want more Ray Conniff records, I'm looking for someone to take them off my hands. I will mail them to you! I collected their covers to make art projects out of some time back. The project is now over, but the records remain! And they could use a good home...

Let me know.
-Carly

6:08 PM  
Blogger VoteJoe said...

Carly, I would be happy to receive them. Feel free to email me at joe dot garden at gmail dot com. Of course, there are no spaces in my email address.

Joe

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home