Sunday, August 13, 2006

2



Title: 2
Artist: Bloodrock
Purchased: Either a yard sale or a thrift store
Verdict: So gone


Am I unfair in bringing certain expectations to the turntable with me when I put on an album by a band called Bloodrock? Namely, that the album will rockā€¦hard? Look at that cover art. A bunch of surly guys (Could it be Bloodrock themselves?) stare out at you, warning that they would kick your ass in a red second if only they could figure out a way to travel through this record cover to do it. Meanwhile, their image is being drenched in blood. Whoah! Now they're going to be really mad!



On the back, a lot is cleared up. 1) The blood on the front seems to come from old-fashioned glass donor-type bottles, so they probably just stole it from their day jobs as hospital orderlies. 2)) They're from Texas. Okay, in reality, that doesn't mean anything. I love a lot of music from Texas. Roky Erickson. The Cherubs. The Butthole Surfers. ZZ Top. It's a pretty long list. In my mind, though, Texas is a hurdle that needs to be overcome.

Bloodrock went to the "I/Me/Girl/Woman/Heart" lyrical school. "Girl, please believe me/I wouldn't cheat on you/Woman, don't you leave me/ I couldn't live without you". Bleah. In a way, it reminds me of Marky Ramone's first band Dust, but at least those lyrics were kind of funny and the rock actually rocked. Bloodrock's music is too weak to be decent acid rock and too simple to be prog rock. There are times they can't even seem to play their instruments on the beat. OH! Great lyric just happened: "God in heaven/teach me how to die." Whoah. That, according to Wikipedia, was from their biggest hit, "D.O.A.". Listening to it again, it reminds me of "Rock and Roll Creation" by Spinal Tap. And it ends with sirens. Too little too late, Bloodrock!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home