Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Final Vinyl


Title: Final Vinyl
Artist: Hot Tuna
Purchased: Donation from neighbor
Verdict: Another one squeaks by


This seems like an appropriate album title for consideration on Needledropper. If only it were my final vinyl, I could live the sparse existence that would make my mind clear. I knew nothing about Hot Tuna when I put this on, save that I hate the name Hot Tuna and the longhair with the wacky glassses on the cover didn't change my mind. A little research revealed that the band was an acoustic offshoot of Jefferson Airplane (another turn-off).

When I put it on, it was sort of a nice surprise. Final Vinyl features a lot of acoustic bluesy numbers without trying to be full-out blues, as well as some Leon Redbone-style old-timey material.

By the last song on side one, it slowly starts to slide onto electric white-boy blues (read: bad). Rather than risk ruining my evening further, I tok it off without listening to side two. I don't honestly know if I'll listen to this again, but those first few songs made me feel a little happier while I listened, so, while not a ringing endorsement, this makes the cut until my next cleaning-go-round.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home