Monday, August 21, 2006

Beaver Dam Senior High School 1976-77 Mixed Chorus, Choirsters and Girls Glee Club


Title: Beaver Dam Senior High School 1976-77 Mixed Chorus, Choirsters and Girls Glee Club
Artist: See above
Purchased: Uhhhhhhh. Probably in 2000-2001, and definitely in Wisconsin.
Verdict: Off Wisconsin.


My friend Jon Ward has a lot of luck with records like this. He's gone around and found high school recordings of 60s pop and psych songs and compiled them for friends. Okay, it's not lucky, he looks long and hard for this stuff. Me, I am an amateur digger. The only thing I've ever been really proud of finding was an Ann Castle rockabilly 45 called "Go Get the Shotgun, Grandpa."

That didn't mean I don't want to strike out and try to find that record that would make Jon Ward's eyes bug out with envy.* So when I found the Beaver Dam et cetera and so on record, I figured that there was a chance of containing some sort of bump and swing.

Well, no. It is a bad recording of a small-town Wisconsin high school choir doing predominantly religious songs, including the whitest spiritual ever. There's something weird about the arrangements of one of the songs, some sort of bizarre back-and-forth of the lyric "Why do you persecute?" that was clearly meant to please parents more than it was to sound good. For that alone, I almost kept it, but Anita rightly pointed out that I would never listen to it again, no matter how bizarre.


Oh, and check out the back. All the titles are hand written. Still, if the family of one of the singers could let it go, I can too.

*Actually, rather than tormenting him with it, I probably would have given it to him if it was any good, because Jon Ward is THAT NICE. Seriously.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home