Sunday, August 20, 2006

My Aim Is True


Title: My Aim Is True
Artist: Elvis Costello
Purchased: Likely migrated into my records collection from that of an ex-girlfriend.
Verdict: The sound it made hitting the garbage can was more interesting that anything on the album.


I didn't need to listen to this again to tell you what I think of it. I lived it. But in the interest of fairness and not cheating in my mission to fairly judge all my stagnant records, I did. I stand by my conviction that I've never heard anyone more overrated than Elvis Costello. And don't lecture me. I tried. I think he's boring and his voice is grating. "But you haven't heard the right song," you say. No, and I won 't. Ever. For everyone that wants to argue against, feel free. But first, lock yourself in a room and listen to "Allison" 15 times in a row, then come out and tell me what a clever gent and a genius he is.

3 Comments:

Blogger Keith Phipps said...

[Head exploding]

Actually, my head would have exploded ten years ago. I kind of dread a new E.C. album these days. But this is still good. In fact, I just listened to it the other day before I saw this post. But, whatever, he's not for everyone. Fun note: This is pre-Attractions and his backing band was also playng with Huey Lewis at the time.

5:26 PM  
Blogger VoteJoe said...

Yeah, I worry that I am coming off solely as a contrarian by posting this, but I just can't buy the "angry young man" thing.

9:29 PM  
Blogger Hector Savage said...

Joe, you are my hero of the day. Elvis Costello (and REM, for that matter) are the two biggest "artists you're supposed to like that I can't f*%king stand.

Gimme Joe Jackson or Gram Parker ANY day.

HS

9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home