Monday, September 04, 2006

Stand Your Ground


Title: Stand Your Ground
Artist: Juluka
Purchased: Entered my collection from my brother's
Verdict: South African't


I've had this album for nearly 20 years, and I listened to it once previously. I held onto it because I thought that I would eventually grow into it, learn to appreciate its African flavor. And Johnny Clegg is a name that I had heard, so I thought that maybe it was something I should have. Simply put, I kept it because of the white guilt that accompanies an undergraduate education in a predominantly white college town.

What I heard this time around reminded me of what I think the soundtrack to the Robin Williams vehicle Club Paradise sounds like. It's smooth, poppy, vaguely ethnic and rife with electronic tom drum fills. They're the kind of band with black members an 80s college student could see without really challenging their world view. Free Nelson Mandella!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you selling this album? Sorry, I linked to this from a broad Google search and can't tell. I don't have a turntable any more but am constantly on the look-out for this record--I live in fear that my circa 1987 Maxell II tape copy will eventually bite the dust.

This is one of my top 3 most favorite albums of all time. It's what I put on when I need to sing at the top of my lungs and snap out of what ever funk I might be mired in. Maybe the fact that 75% of the words are in a language I don't speak has something to do with it.

I also was introduced to Juluka in college during the 80s, and sounds corny, but it changed my life...this music inspired me to pick up a minor in African Studies and go to Africa for a semester, which was a magical and all-around incredible experience (yes, even the diarrhea). Coincidentally, Johnny Clegg was in the same PhD program as my undergrad advisor!

He got a little corn-ball in his later stuff (Savuka) but I've seen him live a few times and he still makes me dance my 'tocks off.

I admire your frankness about how/why you got/kept this album and your site is lots of fun. Good to see people not taking themselves too seriously in this world!

6:11 PM  
Blogger VoteJoe said...

Hey Little Joe,

Thanks for your input. I am happy to see that you can read and enjoy a bad "review" of an album you love. As for your question, I am not selling it. I am giving it away. Please email me with your address, joe dot garden at gmail dot com and I will put it in the mail for you.

Joe

6:47 PM  
Blogger VoteJoe said...

Oh, but just to make clear, it's an LP, so you have to own a record player, which, alas, not a lot of people do these days.

6:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, that's mighty generous of you! Some people change the world by living in tents out on the campus green and not changing their socks for a week, others by mailing long-lost albums to those in need.

I'll e-mail you at gmail.

Thanks!

5:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i would like to download this album, pleaaase!

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home