Monday, March 12, 2007

Circuses and Bread


Title: Circuses and Bread
Artist: The Durutti Column
Purchased: Absorbed from my brother's collection, 1988
Verdict: You lucked out this time

I'm looking at things a lot harder now, because I'm packing for a move. Nothing puts things into perspective like having your living room dominated by boxes of records with plenty more records yet to be packed. As such, it's going to take a lot more than one good song to make me keep it. Come to think of it, I shouldn't be wasting my time writing a blog while I should be packing, but I just gotta be me.

I have had Circuses and Bread for almost 20 years without once listening to it. after looking at the condition of the vinyl, I doubt my brother even listened to it. I knew that it was a Factory Records thing, but I that's about it. I put it on expecting something dreary or synthy, or generally shitty, and I was sharpening my claws for just such a record. I was surprised. It was mellow, guitar and strings. Really pretty. Kind of soothing after a long day of packing. I'm keeping it, and playing it the entire time I unpack so I can keep my unpacking temper tamped down and not kill someone.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan Harford said...

Ah! Durutti Column! I bought LC when a coworker recommended it to me in 1999. Very nice.

(P.S. Happy Birthday.)

10:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not only is the Durutti Column fantastic, I think you've managed to end up with one of their hardest-to-find albums. Yay for you!

1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home