Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Curtola


Title: Curtola
Artist: Curtola
Purchased: I have no recollection
Verdict: Eeeech.

Part of the reason I started this blog, unspoken until now, is that I often find myself in a thrift store calling Anita to ask her about an album I am considering buying. All too often, there is no information on the internet, as a lot of thrift store albums are forgotten to time. So I'll buy it, and bring it home.

Well, if you are, for whatever reason, in the same situation, let me say this. Do not buy this album. Do not consider it. I mean, I should have realized that if someone does a cover of "Watching Scotty Grow," you should throw it to the back of the bin and never look back. I would have done that, but I never knew that's what the song was called. It starts off with "I Never Promised You A Rose Garden." As much as I love Lynn Anderson, I will concede that "I Never Promised You A Rose Garden" is not a soulful song. Curtola's version strips it of whatever vestiges of soul it once had. I have a problem with comedians that do lounge singers because they are gross carractures that never live up to the joke. They're paper tigers. Curtola lives up to every lounge singer parody I have ever seen. This album is just dreck.

Please. If you see it in a thrift store, break it in half, take it to the fron counter and tell them that they have a broken record that should not be sold.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home