Friday, March 16, 2007

Script of the Bridge


Title: Script of the Bridge
Artist: The Chameleons
Purchased: Long Borrowed, never returned, from my friend Seth (I think)
Verdict: You can get your album back any time now

Maybe I actually got this at a thrift store. I just remember my friend Seth being a big fan. So were a lot of other people in college in the early 90s. Ah, those were the days! Back when British musicians were once again poised to invade these shores and displace our bloody hold on pop music with their sexually-beige "brit pop." Well, I never thought I'd say this, but thank god for pop-grunge of Alice In Chains and their ilk for ensuring that never came to pass.

Script of the Bridge sounds like A Flock Of Seagulls with 20% more instruments and 20% less catchiness. I really have nothing more to say about it. Bleah.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're. kidding. i bought "fan and the bellows" when i was in 8th grade (about 10 years after the class of '92 had tossed it aside).

i'll admit that while listening to the chameleons, about 50% of the time i'll go "you know, i'm just gonna put on the smiths." but that other 50%? listen to "in answer" and tell me you don't wish you were back in your dorm.

7:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The Chameleons are one of the 5 most important bands to come out of the Post Punk Era...Echo And The Bunnymen, The Comsat Angels, The Sound and Joy Division being the others...I don't really get where you here either A Flock of Seagulls or The Smiths for that matter! There is nothing pop or ironic about this band...they are intense, moody, emotional and lyrically deep. Over the course of their three album releases they developed a sound that was both intense and intimate. And as for kids in college in the early 90's being fans that would surprise me as the band broke up in '87 before ever really breaking through in the US - they were certainly NEVER a part of any brit pop movement and the Seattle sound owes much to Post Punk - just read some Cobain interviews sometime.

1:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home